10 Best Beginner Electric Guitar (2018 Reviews)
Playing the guitar is an art that is adored by many. Many people would want to start playing, but it is not always easy considering the terms involved and oh so many options to pick from when it comes down to the guitar you want to start practicing with.
One thing is for sure though, having an instrument that is beginner friendly will help significantly in motivating you, the more you learn.
In my review are some of the top choices for beginners to start playing with, all tried, tested, approved and analyzed here.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Beginner Guitars
- 1. C-1 SGR by Schecter Beginner Electric Guitar
- 2. Full-Size Blue Electric Guitar with Amp
- 3 Full-Size Electric Guitar with Amp
- 4. Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Package
- 5. Full-Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp
- 6. Zeny 30" Kids Electric Guitar with Amp
- 7. Spectrum Electric Guitar
- 8. Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster Beginner Electric Guitar
- 9. Squier bullet strat demo beginner electric guitar
- 10. Full-Size Electric Bass Guitar Starter Beginner
- Things to Consider Before Buying an Electric Guitar
- Final Words
Top 10 Best Beginner Guitars
It features a rosewood fretboard and a maple bolt-on neck. The fretboard features 24 medium jumbo sized frets that make large bends easy. The 12th fret has a Celtic cross, adding to the metal aesthetic of this guitar.
The neck plate is angled to make higher frets easily accessible to a player. This guitar also features a volume, tone and 3-way selector switch.The body is made of basswood, and it provides some warmth and helps distorted rhythm tones sound huge. The tuning stability on the guitar feels solid. It is guaranteed to stay in tune even with wide bending.
It has two humbucker pickups that have a high output, which is great for driving your amplifier pre-amp into distortion. This compresses the overall dynamic response of your pick attack. They also sound great for all styles of playing. This electric guitar comes with a gig bag for easy transportation and to maintain your instrument.
- Basswood body
- Maple neck
- Rosewood fretboard with 24 medium frets
- Easy upper fret access
- High output pick-ups
- Volume, tone and 3-way selector
- Schecter15.1 sealed tuners
- There is buzzing between frets
This guitar is a beginner's ‘starter pack' with everything you will need to start playing, straight out of the box! This means you will not have to incur extra costs on accessories because this wholesome, classic style guitar package has got you covered. The guitar features a maple neck, which is known to have excellent tonal qualities.
This package comes with a gig bag case, cable, picks, a guitar strap, amp, pitch pipe and of course, the guitar itself. The amp has both clean and distortion settings. Humbucker pickup help with the production of that rock sound.
It is a full-scale electric guitar that is blue in color, a color that is aesthetically pleasant on guitars. It is well constructed with no shortcomings. This is the best bets for beginners for its price and quality and is guaranteed to peak a beginner's interest inspire them to play more.
- Good sound quality
- Humbucker pickups for rock sound
- Package comes with all the items you need to start playing
- Comes with a case, strap, picks, string winder, cord, tuner, amp
- Guitar amp with distortion
- Aesthetically pleasant blue color
- The tuner provided is not great, and you might have to get another
- The amp is also not that great. There is a lot of humming.
This guitar is also classic style and is from Davidson Guitars, a company held in high regard for making quality guitars at the best prices.
It is also something of a beginner's dream, as it comes with everything you might need to start playing straight out of the box, so you don't need to look for more accessories later and incur more costs.
It is a full size 39-inch guitar that features a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard for a warmer tone and a softer feel. It comes with a 10-watt guitar amp has both clean and distortion settings.
This package comes with a guitar strap, cable, picks, pitch pipe, a gig bag case all included for the beginner, which as I mentioned earlier is all he or she might need to start playing.
- Vintage sunburst electric guitar
- 10-watt amp with distortion/overdrive
- Humbucker pickup for rock sound
- Comes with everything you might need as a beginner
- Comes with essentials like a strap, case, a cable and an amp
- Amp is small and makes a humming sound unless it is at a very small volume
It comes with a 10-watt Electra guitar amp and a 10ft guitar cable. It features two classic humbucker pickups for that rock sound.
This model goes the extra mile, as this pack comes with free downloadable guitar lessons from media. This is unique, seeing as other similar models, as much as they might come with everything you need to start playing, they do not provide lessons for a beginner you need to do the homework yourself. This one though, makes it so easy for a beginner.
To expound more on what this Les Paul comes with, it includes a guitar strap, medium picks, an easy to carry gig bag and a clip-on headstock chromatic tuner along with the am and cable that I had already mentioned earlier.
- Classic humbucker pickups
- Comes with a 10-watt guitar amp
- Free downloadable guitar lessons
- Comes with everything you will need to start plating
- 10-foot guitar cable
- Amp is small but loud with bass and treble settings
- Included tuner does not have instructions, and it will take some time to figure out
- Accessories have proved to be cheap and will need upgrading or replacement
This guitar's style is a classic, and it comes from Davison Guitars, a reputable brand known for producing guitars that are well loved by beginners and veterans alike. It is a full-size guitar that is sold at an unbelievably good price.
This guitar also comes with all the accessories you will need to start playing so you get this package and you are good to go.
Also, you will not need to incur extra costs buying accessories that you will need because this package has got it all. It comes with an amp, a guitar strap, a gig bag case, a cable, a few picks and a pitch pipe.
It features a maple neck and a maple fretboard, and maple is known and preferred by players as it has excellent tonal properties. It is great regarding sound, looks and the overall playability of the instrument. The amp also features an overdrive/distortion button and a headphone jack.
- Maple neck and maple fretboard
- Full size 39-inch guitar
- Amp has a distortion button
- Solid body
- Humbucker pickups
- Cords glitch sometimes
This starter kit includes a 5-watt amp, a shoulder strap, a cable cord a few guitar picks and replacement strings, so you do not need to worry about buying more accessories and meeting extra costs before the kid is set to start playing.
The construction is all wood, with steel springs and a smooth, attractive finish that is aesthetically appealing. IYou will also get a nylon carrying case that is ideal for easy storage for traveling musicians.
- Ready to use out of the box
- Has a nylon carrying case for easy storage while moving around with the guitar
- All wood construction with a smooth and attractive finish
- Comes with a 5-watt amp
- Also comes with a cable cord, shoulder strap, guitar picks and replacement strings
- Available in black and pink
- Not ideal for left handed kids
Package includes a mini amplifier that gets Fittings Directly into Your Guitar. It includes volume & distortion/overdrive controls, an auxiliary input jack for a microphone or a digital audio device and a headphone output jack.
It is a great beginner package as it has all the accessories you will need to start playing, straight out of the box. It includes strings, a strap, a cable, picks and a cleaning cloth. It also has 1 volume, 2 controls, 5 way pickup selector and whammy bar.
- Full-size electric guitar with solid body
- Mini amp plugs directly into your guitar
- Amp includes volume and overdrive/distortion controls
- Fully featured accessories pack with everything you need to start playing
- include accessories ,instructional video and bonus jam tracks available for download
- Does not always stay in tune
- Amp starts humming at higher volumes
8. Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster Beginner Electric Guitar
The Telecaster is another Fender classic that has been made budget-friendly through the Squier brand name. It is a guitar that is well loved by rock players and country players alike so that should tell you something about its versatility.
It is a full-size guitar with jumbo frets, 1 volume and 2 tone controls, steel springs, a 5 way pickup selector and a whammy bar.
It is capable of playing a wide array of sounds, and that makes it perfect for beginners as they can try out different sounds and know what they want to get into. It is easy for beginners to keep it in tune and will motivate them to play more.
This guitar, however, is not likely to please hard rock fans or metalheads as it is more inclined to be played by blues and country newbies. The Telecaster has a ‘hard tail' bridge rather than a tremolo bridge that makes it easier for beginners to keep it in tune.
- Has accessories pack with strings, a strap, picks, cable and a cleaning cloth
- Has everything you need to start up
- Full-size guitar with jumbo frets
- Includes headphones with the mini-amp
- Micro amp will need replacement as it is not very good
This means you get to start playing a quality guitar without breaking the bank. A beginner will not be able to tell the difference regarding tonal differences with different, more expensive guitar woods.
Many users, even veterans become pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound this guitar produces. It is also sold as a beginner's starter pack, which means that it is going to come with a bunch of extra accessories that you are going to need.
This guitar will sound good until you are ready to upgrade the more you gain experience. Most owners of the guitar have had it for over a year can attest to the fact that it holds up well even with constant use, which is a good reason to consider the Squier Fender brand as they always deliver.
- High-quality sound
- Basswood body
- Uses 3 standard single coil pickups
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Chrome hardware
- Tuners are not very high quality
- Neck is noticeably low in quality
It comes with a small 30-watt amp that works well. It is more of a practice amp for jamming or loud practice. It is of fantastic value and offers a lot more regarding usefulness and quality. It has Diecast tuners, a maple neck and a body made of alder, which all have great tonal properties.
It comes with an amp, strap, cable and a case for easy storage and, makes it easier to move with the guitar from place to place. This bass guitar will last you for a while as you learn the basics to lead you to upgrade to a better quality and more professional bass guitar when you are more experienced.
- Full-size electric bass guitar
- Alder body and maple neck
- Diecast tuners
- 30-watt peak amplifier
- The tone knob effects are not high quality
Things to Consider Before Buying an Electric Guitar
A guitar is a huge investment, and you have to make sure that you are buying the right one for your needs. Consider the following points if you are searching the market for a new electric guitar, which will act as a buying guide because ultimately, you need to make the best purchase that gives great value for your money.
When buying a guitar for a beginner, it is very vital forget a properly sized guitar that sounds great, and matches up with the beginner's music favorites and tastes. An electric guitar that matches up to their preferences will help them stay motivated the more they learn how to play. For instance, a budding player who likes metal might not be fascinated with a classic. Rather, get a guitar that aligns more with their tastes and even looks the part.
By now I assume you know the basic components of an electric guitar as you continue to demystify the whole process. Knowing the most basic components will help you focus on more important things.
Since you are a beginner and you may not know a lot about guitar types, you need to start with a lot of research. You could also read reviews from musicians and experts or even current owners of various models to help you narrow down your options.
Even if it is your first guitar, consider a quality guitar built to last. It is important to note that good quality often comes with a price tag to match, but spending more for the right guitar will save you a few coins in the long run. However, this doesn't mean that you should go out and splurge on the most expensive guitar. This will probably be an overkill. Spend a reasonable amount on a quality guitar for your expertise level.
Purchasing a good, quality guitar up front means you will not have to do those frequent repairs or incremental updates along the way. With more experience comes a desire to invest in quality so you can upgrade to a better quality guitar for your more advanced expertise level.
Ease of Use
Since you are a beginner, it is reasonable to buy a guitar that is easy to play. An instrument that doesn't stay in tune or is hard to play might turn away even the most enthusiastic beginner and render the guitar a useless purchase if it is not being used anymore.
Guitars require some accessories, so you have to put those into consideration. You will probably need a fresh set of strings, an amp, a cleaning kit, guitar cables, a guitar strap and a case.
Some models come with some of these accessories, for example, the carrying case. So after you acquire the model you want, you can buy the accessories that you do not have later.
Learning how to play the guitar should not be hard. All the guitars mentioned above are great choices to consider, to start you off on your guitar learning experience, since they come as a wholesome beginner package, with everything you are going to need to start playing.
Before you go out to purchase a guitar to start playing with, make sure you have done your homework first by reading reviews and expert opinions on these models we have narrowed down to.
Since they are specifically for beginners, when used by experts and veterans they will most definitely come up short so look out for negative reviews from users who have very high expectations for a beginner's guitar.